Provide expanded playing opportunities for continued growth and competition of our Recreational Softball Program into the Summer. Summer All-Stars will be tournament based play against other Char-Meck member organizations and Executive Board approved “other” organizations.
Summer All-Stars Objective
Summer All-Stars will provide interested players an opportunity to play in a “more” competitive yet recreational based environment during the Summer timeframe. Summer All-Stars will provide the opportunity to continue to develop their skills and competitive spirit. Although skill may be a partial determining factor, we encourage a broad range of players to enable growth of the program and individuals in this expanded environment.
Summer All-Stars extends the opportunity for players to advance beyond regular season recreational play to the next level within the Char – Meck Softball League. This program would allow those Recreational players looking to take their play to the next level, a “step up” opportunity to advance their skills and play in a tournament based competitive environment.
Although competitive, it is NOT a WIN AT ALL COST objective; we are a recreational organization and need to plan and play accordingly and keep the spirit of good sportsmanship.
- Summer All-Stars will be open to all Char-Meck Softball Organizations and age groups: 8U, 10U, 12U, and 14/15/16U (if applicable).
- Each team will typically consist of 10-14 players (Local Association can make this determination).
- Organizations are encouraged to field a team in each age group, with the option of having multiple teams in a specific age group if they have players interested. Our objective should be to maximize both players and teams.
- It is recommended that your organization develop a formal selection process to determine player selection. This can be done through coaches “Consensus Selection” or another local association approved process.
- Selection of players would be at the discretion of each association but should focus on players with an interest and capability (with or without additional learning) to play in a more competitive environment.
- Two or more Char-Meck Organizations may combine to make a single Summer All-Star team in one or more age groups only after inviting all players from their regular Spring Recreational Season.
- A formal request must be made and approved by the “Summer All-Star Advisory Board before the team can form”.
- Players who played Recreational Softball in the Fall, but not in the Spring may be added to a Summer All-Star team only after exhausting all of the Spring Rec Season Participants.
- A formal request must be made and approved by the “Summer All-Star Advisory Board”.
The Summer All-Star program will consist of a 4 day event. All-Stars will open on Thursday evening with a grand introduction of all the teams/coaches/players. This will be followed by competitions consisting of: HomeRun Derby, Road Runner Race, Around the Horn, Coach/Parent Relay Race. Friday evening will begin pool games which will seed the tournament for the double elimination bracket on Saturday & Sunday. Please keep Saturday and Sunday completely open because there will be numerous amounts of games to get in during those two days.
- Players who played Recreational Softball in the Fall, but not in the Spring may be added to a Summer All-Star team only after exhausting all of the Spring Rec Season Participants. A formal request must be made and approved by the "Summer All-Star Advisory Board".
- Player must play on the Summer All-Star Team that corresponds to the age group they competed in during the Spring Season. Players cannot move up or down (even if age eligible) for Summer All-Stars without approval by the "Summer All-Star Advisory Board".
Rules of Play
The Summer All-Star program will follow the “Char – Meck Girls Softball Rules of Play” with the following exception:
- Home Team/Visitor Team will be determined by a coin flip at the beginning of each game.
HOME RUN DERBY
Three girls per team will be chosen to enter the HR Derby. Each girl will get 5 pitches from a pitcher of choice, to try and hit a homerun. Each age group will have a specified home run distance. Home runs will be ruled by the designated derby officials. Foul balls and missed balls will be counted as one of the 5 pitches. In the event of a tie, there will be a hitoff between the tied players. Each player will receive 3 pitches until there is deemed a winner.
ROAD RUNNER RACE
All players from each team will race vs the opposing team. Players must touch all bases or they will be told to return to the base missed in order to proceed to the next base. Winners of each race will play the winners of the other race until there is deemed a winner.
AROUND THE HORN
Four girls from each team will be chosen to enter the Around the Horn event. There will be a girl placed at home plate, first base, second base and third base. The official clock will start when the player at home plate releases the ball. The girl may throw to first (or third) base and complete it around the horn till the catcher has control of the ball and is on home plate. Each player must make contact with their base while controlling the softball before releasing to the next base. This is a timed event and the fastest time will be deemed the winner. If a tie occurs a throwoff will be necessary until there is a winner.
COACH/PARENT RELAY RACE
Four parents that may be parents or coaches of the girls on the team (not brother/sister/cousin/friends) will race in a timed event. Participants MUST BE 2 males and 2 females. No exceptions. Parents will stand on each base before the start of the race. The runner at home plate will start with a softball in hand and once the official says "GO" runner will run to first base and hand the ball off to the next runner at first base and so on till the runner from third steps on home plate. This is a timed event and the fastest time will be deemed the winner.
Char-Meck will recognize the top 2 teams for each Summer All-Star Tournament. In addition, individual “key” players will be recognized following each game. Please refer to the following notes for details:
- Tournament trophies or medallions will be given out for each participating team finishing in the top two positions.
- MVP pins should be awarded after every game. Each coach/team needs to determine which girl on the opposing team should receive this award. A girl can be awarded multiple pins during the duration of the tournament.
- Winners of competition events will receive pins or medallions. Winners will be announced at the end of the events.
- To be determined based on the number of tournaments, games played, umpire fees, trophy cost, and facility fees. These fees will be divided equally (per team) from all participating organizations.
- Uniforms will be paid for by each organization that chooses to have special uniforms.
A Summer All-Star Advisory Board will be appointed prior to each Spring season by the Char-Meck Board of Commissioners. This Advisory Board is intended to ensure the rules and spirit of the rules is followed as well as offer guardrails to ensure success. Although this Advisory Board may have the ability to set forth penalties, it is expected that this will not be necessary.
Each member organization should take an active role to ensure that the written and implied rules are followed and maintained. If the situation is not specifically covered in a written rule then the question should be directed to the “Summer All-Star Advisory Board”.